Empowered by Alibaba’s YunOS operating system, the OS’Car marks the transformation of automobiles beyond a means of transportation
INDIA, July 7, 2016 – Alibaba Group (NYSE:BABA) today announced the launch of OS’Car, the first YunOS enabled, mass produced internet car, in collaboration with SAIC Motor Corp. Alibaba unveiled “YunOS for cars”, a smart operating system tailored for the automotive industry, which marks a milestone for Alibaba’s Internet of Things (IoT) strategy and underlines the potential of internet-connected lifestyles.
“Humans have made machines more intelligent in the past few decades. What we hope to achieve in the coming decades is to inject machines with human wisdom. Just as software programs have made the phone smarter today, YunOS will make cars an even more indispensable part of human life in the future society. Today marks the dawn of that new era. We feel proud and privileged to be playing a part in driving that change.” said Jack Ma, Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group.
“We believe cars will be the next wave of access point to the internet, and the integration of our data-driven intelligent operating system to create a smart car is an important milestone as we enter the era of IoT. Working together with SAIC, Alibaba will transform the car from a mode of transportation into a new platform for smart living through the seamless use of big data, internet and cloud computing. We hope to truly elevate the experience of driving and allow consumers a new lifestyle to be enjoyed via their vehicles,” said Daniel Zhang, Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group.
Equipped with YunOS, the OS’Car RX5 is the first “Internet-connected Car” of its kind in mass production, co-developed after two years of intensive study and collaboration between the two pioneers in the e-commerce and the automobile industries. Unlike traditional automobiles, this new car will be supported by a cloud-based platform that enables data streaming, modeling and reporting, providing the ultimate driving experience with innovative features.
“What we are creating is not ‘internet in the car’, but a ‘car on the internet’. This is a significant milestone in the automobile industry. Smart operating systems become the second engine of cars, while data is the new fuel,” said Dr. Wang Jian, Chairman of Technology Steering Committee of Alibaba Group. “Going forward, cars will become an important platform for internet services and smart hardware innovation. We will be embracing a world where everything is closely connected.”
With cloud-based data, YunOS provides OS’Car RX5 drivers with a series of innovative features:
- An intelligent map which enables instant and precise location by sub-meter, location tracking without WIFI or GPS, automatic change in map zoom size based on the car speed.
- The car is able to take direct commands through smart voice control, creating a more natural and safer driving environment. Audio is the primary mode for controlling the system.
- Equipped with up to four detachable action cameras, it enables video recordings of the journey and 360-degree in-car selfies. The selfies can be shared instantly with friends via the connected smart phone.
- As the first car with an “Internet ID”, OS’Car can recognize the driver through connected smart phones or smart watches. It also enables personalized internet services such as greetings, preferred music and destinations.
- Three integrated screens– a large touch screen, LED dashboard and an intelligent rearview mirror – result in safer driving.
- OS’Car RX5 uses an open platform, for different smart hardware and services which will enable the introduction of additional premium and creative driving experiences for users.
Furthermore, the OS’Car RX5 adopts a new generation of design language, using advanced fuel technology, more powerful accelerator, lower oil consumption, and have a shorter braking distance.
The OS’Car RX5 is currently available for sale from RMB 99,800 to RMB 186,800. The OS’Car RX5 will be simultaneously launched on the SAIC Tmall flagship store today and presented at the Alibaba Automobile Festival from July 20 to 31, 2016.
For more details about “YunOS for car”, please visit www.yunos.com